The thyroid gland is located just at the level of the voicebox (larynx) in the neck. It produces a hormone called thyroxine which has an effect on all of the cells of the tissues in the body. This hormone sets the rate at which the cells burn energy. Sometimes the function of this gland can be altered. This can result in a state where the thyroid is either underactive or overactive. These conditions can develop slowly over many months or even years.
An underactive thyroid (medically known as hypothyroidism) means your thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroxine. This causes many of the body's functions to slow down. Common signs of hypothyroidism are tiredness, fatigue, weight gain, dry skin/hair, muscle aches and low mood.
Hypothyroidism cannot be prevented. Most cases of underactive thyroid are caused either by your immune system attacking your thyroid gland or by damaged thyroid tissue.
This condition is not usually serious and is easily treated by taking hormone tablets to replace the thyroxine that your thyroid isn't making. These tablets are called Eltroxin (levothyroxine).
Who Is This Service For?
This service is suitable for:
- Patients over the age of 17 who have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and who are on levothyroxine to correct it
This service is not suitable for:
- Patients not on established treatment currently
- Patients seeking liothyronine or natural thyroid extract
- Children under 17 with hypothyroidism
How the service works
- Online consultations with Irish based doctors
- Our doctors issue a prescription if medically safe and suitable
- Valid in any Irish pharmacy to buy your medication
- Prescription sent to your chosen pharmacy via secure email (Healthmail) within minutes of approval
The accuracy of the information you provide is very important for the safe prescribing of the most suitable type of medication.
The information that you provide is treated with the same patient-doctor confidentiality as in a normal face-to-face consultation.