What is Candida/Thrush?
Genital Candida/Thrush is a common infection caused by overgrowth of a naturally occurring fungus (candida). It is not usually serious, but the symptoms of this can be very uncomfortable. It typically affects women, but it can also affect men.
Candida/Thrush is not a sexually transmitted infection (STI).
Some treatments are available from a pharmacy without a prescription. You may want to consider trying these first as they often will provide cure in simple cases of thrush. If you still have symptoms of thrush after using these treatments, our service can provide you with a prescription medication if our doctors feel this is appropriate after completing a short questionnaire.
Who is this treatment for?
This treatment is for people who are experiencing the most common symptoms of thrush:
- Redness and itching around the vulva and vaginal area, or on the head of the penis
- A white thick curdy discharge
- Burning pain/discomfort when you have sex
- Have used treatments for Candida/Thrush in the past and have found them successful.
The treatments available with Webdoctor are listed below:
- Fluconazole oral tablet (Caneclear, Diflucan or Canoral)
- Daktacort Cream
- Gyno-Pevaryl vaginal pessaries
This service is not suitable for you if:
- You are pregnant or possibly pregnant
- If you have symptoms in other areas, such as the mouth
- You are under 17 years of age
- You have bleeding between periods or after intercourse
- You have pain when passing urine, or increased urinary frequency
- You have green, smelly discharge from the vagina and you are concerned you have symptoms of an STI
- You have blisters or a rash on the skin of the vagina or penis
- You have unexplained lower abdominal pain for the past 48 hours.
- Have never been diagnosed with Candida/Thrush or have never used treatments for Candida/Thrush
What happens next
One of our Irish-registered Doctor’s will assess your questionnaire and, if suitable, prescribe you medicines to treat your condition. If this medication is not deemed suitable for you, the Doctor will advise you further.
- Online consultations with Irish based doctors
- Our doctors issue a prescription if medically safe and suitable
- Valid in any Irish pharmacy to buy your medication
- Prescription sent to your chosen pharmacy via secure email (Healthmail) within minutes of approval
Dr. Sylvester Mooney
BSc, LRCS & PI, MB, BCh, BAO, DObs, DCH, DFSRH(RCOG)